Jan 9, 2008

Safety Forum

I am guilty of thinking real change comes from only the broadest, highest levels of government. That is not always the case.

My wife attended the Capitol Hill safety forum last night (I was working but learned of the forum on Miller Park.) [Recap by CHS.] She came away enthused about our new community -- in light of a terrible, senseless act -- and impressed by the attention paid by the mayor, SPD and other city officials. My wife even stepped up to the mic to voice her view on poor lighting in the neighborhood -- to a thunderous round of applause and cheers, I'm told! ;)

My wife's comments, among many others, were included in a report by King5 NBC News. Besides being married to a budding TV star, this shows me how change can be enacted at the local level.

Neighbors gather to speak to their officials. Local media broadcasts dialogue. Blogs raise specific, relevant issues. Forums for discussion appear online and off. Community voices emerge.

No comments: